Saturday, January 24, 2015

Snow Day

I woke up today to find mounds of snow all over the ground and covering people's cars in the street. It was a very quiet and empty moment, and suddenly I felt very ghost-like, looking out the window in thin clothing and studying the shapes of feet in the snow. It was what they call a profound moment. 

More than anything, I decided to actually relax today. I am used to a sort of pseudo-relaxation, where I am only hanging onto the surface and unable to feel any sort of comfort. I am used to lingering. Surfaces are all I am afforded, and rarely full immersion into something as lovely as a relaxing, nice day.

 I try to take a bath, get my mind off of things, but I only starkly feel the thin trails of sweat from the hot water on the back of my neck, and an acute awareness of my body. I cannot relax. I try to afford myself the nice things - a moisturizing face mask, some lotion, a really smooth cleanser that soaks into my skin. None of these feel good enough, because I expect too much of myself.

That is one of my many problems. I expect too much of myself. I try to play it off as a gentle horoscope excuse: Virgos are supposed to expect too much of ourselves, aren't we? But I know that's not all it is. I don't terribly like to talk about it.

And times like these, I remember why I wanted to become a writer. I cannot keep these things swept up inside of me to collect dust, to be found at a later date when I have collapsed from the weight. 

So, I write them out on a snow day, like this one.

(by the way, I got a haircut a few days ago - here it is!)


13 comments:

  1. I've never seen snow before, but it seems so dreamy to look at! Your haircut is super cute <3

    She Will Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen snow before moving here, it's a pretty big day for me! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Your haircut looks lovely! And lucky you have snow! I've just got a whole load of ice here :(

    JOKSIE // WEAREMONOCHROME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After days of ice it feels pretty nice to have some actual snow. Hope you get some soon!

      Delete
  3. Love your hair! I also struggle to wind down no matter what I try! Best relaxation for me is chilling out with some friends, like lying around in the botanical garden. That somehow relaxes me more than a bath and masks and stuff.

    DAISYPERSON | BEAUTY BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I would love to visit a botanical garden, I imagine it would be so relaxing.

      Delete
  4. We haven't had any snow where I live, but I always love it!
    My favourite way to relax is always baths, they seem to make everything better.
    Your hair looks amazing :)

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :) when I get my hands on some of lush's new bath products I'll be trying out a bath again for sure!

      Delete
  5. I get what you mean of expecting too much of yourself, and it can really suck. Love your new haircut!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. your hair looks great! i'm actually visiting nyc right now and everything is shut down because of a blizzard, not ideal!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovinxx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yeahh haha its the snowmageddon, I think they're calling it. It's crazy!

      Delete