Saturday, November 21, 2015

Red & Purple | Review


Today I was sifting through my makeup for an idea on what makeup products I wanted to talk about, review, etc., and I pulled out these two eyeshadow singles for no apparent reason. I thought about it for a second, and realized that to me, personally, both of these eyeshadows are very eye-catching. The packaging, the color, the little golden sheen in both - they're truly very beautiful, and I love them for that reason alone.

But, I decided to go a little deeper and review both of them. Eye-catching and beautiful doesn't always mean good. They can be chalky, not pigmented, so glittery that you get none of the color and all of the glitter. So, what about these two? Are they worth it? Let's check it out!


First up is a NAR's single in the color 'Strada.' This is one of the first eyeshadows I ever bought, and honestly I got it because it was gorgeous. It also swatched very prettily, as you can see - it's a dusky purple with gold glitter, and I was so taken with those gold glitters. I believe this cost about $20, maybe more, but after playing around with it at home I realized that I should have picked another shade (or been smart and checked the reviews!). While it swatches so prettily, it's SO difficult to work with on the eyes. If you pat it on the lid very thickly as the primary color, it will go on pretty well but it faded for me very fast, even with a primer, and mostly the glitter was left. If you blend it too much, it becomes rather muddy looking and it's practically unfixable. It's a very difficult shadow to work with, though I find it works best used sparingly, so it's not a total loss. I like to use it on the lower lid sometimes for a pop of subtle color. It's not terrible, but it's not great. Definitely better purples out there.


Now this one I actually ordered online. It's from Style Nanda's makeup brand, 3 Concept Eyes. This is the color 'Saturn.' I was intrigued by that vibrant red online, and when I got it in the package, I was so pleased with how it swatched. As you can see, it swatches a beautiful fiery golden-red color. It seems to have a gold duochrome in it, which is just beautiful. I was also very happy to find out it was pretty lovely to work with. Patting it all over my lid produces that gorgeous red color, which fades slightly throughout the day but still looks lovely. It's also a great lower lid accent if you want something more subtle. Overall, I was so happy with this eyeshadow, especially because reds can sometimes be a little disappointing. It costs 11,000 won, which is about $9.50.

I've really been getting into wearing more colorful eyeshadows lately, so hopefully I'll be able to review more for you guys soon!



6 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm a huge fan of the purple one -- it's so dark and gorgeous!
    Although the red eyeshadow is really pretty, I personally don't think I could pull it off! Mostly because I'm terrible at doing my own eye makeup -- it might look like I have pink eye or something and then nobody will want to talk to me. Ha ha!

    -Alex
    A Northern Light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reds can definitely be hard to work with! I usually have to wear it rather sparingly or right in the center of my lid unless I'm going for that slightly sick, tired look...which I admit sometimes I do, no idea why I like it so much! :P

      Delete
  2. Love that red shade, and the purple is gorgeous too! Too bad it's so difficult for you, especially since it was so expensive :/ Great reviews!
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, I'm so sad that it was so expensive ): But I know they have other great shadows.

      Delete