Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Fabulous Beasts


I have lived in this vast city for two months now. My home still does not feel like a home yet, something I am working on every day. I have not yet begun to truly explore, partly because I am afraid. Everything feels so new to me still; moving out for the first time, and so far away, has impacted me more greatly than I ever expected it to.

I have yet to find beauty here. The old brick surrounding me feels ugly and tired. It doesn't feel welcoming. When it does, I know I will be happier, but right now I am overwhelmed by the loneliness of these buildings. There is razor wire outside of my bedroom window. Rust trails descend from beneath them - clearly they haven't been bothered in quite some time. I can't access the back of our home, so it feels like a patch of destroyed earth.

I sit inside avoiding the black snow, reading the books I was able to take. Fabulous Beasts is full of creatures from every pocket of the world, creatures I could never dream of. I enjoy trying to imagine what a fuath would look like, and poring over the several pages dedicated to dragons. The illustrations feel old-world and the book smells like home. Real home.

I'm getting better every day.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! Lovely post <3

    Meme xx

    New Post out now:
    'Sisterhood Of The World Bloggers Award'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those brick walls you don't like (if they're inside)-cover them with some nice not see trough curtains, they always add some volumizing effect to the room ;)

    ReplyDelete